Von A bis Z
Bitte klicken Sie auf einen Anfangsbuchstaben, um sich die entsprechenden Dienstleistungen anzuzeigen:
Notification of a seasonal wine tavern ("Straußwirtschaft")
If you would like to serve homemade wine or cider within the framework of a "Straußwirtschaft" – a wine tavern attached to the winery – (in some parts of Baden-Württemberg also called Besenwirtschaft), then you do not need a restaurant license provided certain conditions are fulfilled.
Serving drinks and also serving simply prepared hot food can take place without a license for a duration of four months in the year divided into a maximum of two periods, however you do have a duty to notify.
If the duration is exceeded or if you sell wine commercially, then the notification of wine tavern attached to the winery is not sufficient and you require a restaurant license.
- The location where the drinks are served must be near to the winery operation and may not be connected to another place where drinks and food are served and only up to 40 seats are permitted.
- At least one non-alcoholic beverage (not tap water) must be sold alongside wine or cider. The food sold may only be cold food or hot food that is easy to prepare. This means dishes which do not require any particular skills to prepare them and in addition require little time and effort.
- All persons that are employed in the wine tavern attached to the winery business and come into contact with food and drinks or consumer goods may only do this job if they have been instructed by the regional council office (Landratsamt) or the city council of the urban district (Stadtkreis) (formerly: Local Health Authority) or a doctor authorised by the regional council office or the city council of the urban district (§ 43 Protection against Infection Act – IFSG).
Note: Even if running a seasonal wine tavern (Straußwirtschaft) does not require a license, you still have to comply with the other requirements (e.g. provisions on hygiene and regulations on closing time).
To run a seasonal wine tavern, you have to notify the responsible authority in writing. It has to be signed by hand or have a qualified electronic signature.
If necessary you have to notify the following to your municipality together with supporting evidence:
- the planned period of the wine tavern attached to the winery business
- a description of the wine to be served
- a description of the location where the wine is served
The amount charged is based on the local regulations governing the fees.
The leaflet on Straußwirtschaften ("Besenwirtschaft") from AG Direktvermarktung at the regional council (Regierungspräsidium) of Stuttgart informs you about further prerequisites and the legal basis.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.