Von A bis Z
Bitte klicken Sie auf einen Anfangsbuchstaben, um sich die entsprechenden Dienstleistungen anzuzeigen:
Applying for a special-use permit for roads in built-up areas
You may use public roads for purposes other than traffic. In such instances you will normally require a special-use permit.
Examples of special use include:
- the sale of all kinds of merchandise
- setting up tables and chairs for a street café
- creating street art
You also need a permit to use the airspace above the road (e.g. for advertising structures or vending machines).
N.B. You do not require a special-use permit in the following cases:
- you need a certificate of exemption from traffic laws (straßenverkehrsrechtliche Ausnahmegenehmigung) to use the road, or
- you want to use the road for a structure for which you require a building permit, e.g. a building site.
You wish to use part or all of a road for a purpose other than customary traffic.
You must apply to the competent authority if you require a special-use permit. Please use the application form intended for this purpose. You can obtain it from the competent authority, or it may be available for download from the internet depending on the authority.
This form is primarily concerned with the consequences a permit would have on use of the road.
The intended form of special use may not
- have too much impact on general use of the road by others,
- create a noise disturbance for pedestrians and residents,
- make the road unduly dirty, or
- affect the townscape.
Once your application has been examined, you will receive either a permit or a notice of rejection.
The competent authority may impose time limits on the permit or make it revocable. It may also be furnished with conditions and obligations.
- The competent authority may request additional documents, e.g.
- site plan,
The fees charged depend on the fee scale of the respective municipality. The main factors they take into consideration are the nature and extent of the effect on the road and the business interests of the applicant.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Verkehr und Infrastruktur released it on 11.10.2016.
Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts. In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.